Tuesday, April 26

Finding Bits of My Soul- Houston, Texas


We meant to leave Israel, see the States,and swing by Houston for a few weeks. We ended up spending two long, relaxing months in Houston; catching up with old friends and catching our breaths. Houston gave us an eclectic taste of city life, tons of time to reflect on what the hell we were actually doing, and great opportunities to see friends and my family. After raising our kids half way across the world in Israel; it was a gift to our kids to have quality time with my mother, step-father, and brother. This entry reflects some of what my soul recaptured in the sights and sounds of the city I spent most of my life in:  Houston, Texas.

The Southwest Houston I Grew Up In

We wanted the kids to see where I grew up. The pictures below reflect the more personal places that pinch my heart. It's A&A TV- my dad's repair shop for twenty years, the stores we used to shop in, the restuarants we ate in, the apartment Kobi and I lived in before moving to Israel. Nice stuff to show your kids. When we swing by Houston again on our way to the Far East, I want to show them my childhood home, the schools I went to, and a few other precious memories.
 




 





My One and Only Adorable Brother Mickey

 
 



Lizards and Artists

An entry from April 22:

"We're doing amazingly well. I have a cold but I think I'll be done today. Kobi had one before me. Saba and Safta's {means grandmother and grandfather in Hebrew) yard is huge and full of lizards and bugs. The kids are building block houses, painting, and seeking bugs of all sorts. They have spent a good deal of their morning trying to catch squirrels. I don't think I'll tell them that they'll never succeed. It keeps them very busy outside; which gives me some blessed time alone. 


It is unreal how smoothly and effortlessly we eased into Houston life again. It's like we never left. Like i can imagine me living here again. No, I won't, we won't. but its so easy to see us happy here too.


I also felt that way about New York. That we could be really happy there. We're going shopping today to buy sandals and good hiking shoes for us all. Tonight we're going to see a free light, dance, mime, song show at Miller Outdoor Theater. Orazi plans on taking his first-ever football with him to throw in the park with Kobi. Sounds cool. I hope I feel well cuz last night we were going to go and didn't feel up for it.


Last night, Kobi and Saba took the kids to this outdoor mall where Orazi sold his paintings. He's trying to raise enough money for this toy he wants from Target. He earned 14 dollars and got so much positive attention from really nice people who told him he was a talented artist. Dahnya and Solai worked hard to support him. That is so valor of them.


We'll be here until April 5 when we leave for the RV way of life.A little after that, we will pull ourselves away from the comforts of feeling like a king with my mom's home, car, free gas, free food, and lots of attention and we'll hit the road to hopefully start volunteering and traveling in Mexico or Guatamala.

 
 
 



Finding Bits of My Soul

Memorial Park was precious to us before we left, and became precious to us, again, now with our kids. It is a place that held some nice memories for us. Thus, it was fitting that we committed to get back in shape by dragging our kids to exercise in the rugged mountain bike trails of Memorial Park. We spent many long days it the park with the kids. It is here that we played natural survival games, here that we collected Easter egg shells, and here that I found (in the movie below) bit of my soul, and my son.

 
 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining us! Speak your beautiful mind here: