Tuesday, June 21

What I've Learned This Week- June, La Lucha de La Tigre, Costa Rica




As a nomadic family living on a remote ranch in Costa Rica, we discovered new and marvelous things. In this entry, I want to share 11 surprising and wondrous insights from our lives here.

11 Surprising and Wondrous Insights 

1. Bottled Water





That it's considered crude and uncultured for the teacher to drink out of a water bottle. (maybe it's like a drunk?) t\Teachers, if at all, are expected to drink out of a cup.

2. Valiant Souls

That Orazi and Solai can walk into different classrooms in which neither the students nor the teacher speaks a word they understand. And that they will wait, anxiously, to reenter that foreign land the next day.

3.  The Fruits of Our Labor

That mango, coconut, pipas and carabolas taste so amazing right off the tree. Likewise, talapia tastes best when you fish it out of the neighbor's lake, and cow cheese is most delicious when you make it yourself in Sonia's kitchen.


 

4. Flying Friends


That Costa Rican songbirds never cease to be remarkable in their endless chorus. And that the blue and white speckled one eats butterflies.

5. Tu Hablas Espanol?
 
That every time I sit down and study Spanish, my ability to actually be understood is vastly improved. Sonia says it is much easier to understand me today than it was three weeks ago.

6. Smart Economics

That Kobi's idea to exchange English classes and Clean Your Soul classes for a fruit or veggies was pure genius! They all have tons of things growing on their land, and for us, it reduces our spending enormously. Just today, Lula paid off her English bill with 3 pineapples, a green cabbage, 2 carrots, 5 tomatoes, 4 cucumbers, and a head of lettuce.


7. Awkwardness

That when the dona (landlord) of the house arrives, I immediately demote myself from "boss of the house" to "very out of place renter".


8. Digital Peace of Mind

that putting my kids online for a few hours is a wonderful way to ensure that i get a few totally quiet hours to write. and with time, i may be able to do it guilt-free.

9. Trusting the Universe's Rhythm

That though my new Parenting site (in English) has crashed and none of my techie resources seem vaguely interested in helping me get it back up; life goes on, in total calmness and wholeness.

(Tis a shame for I had such great traffic and a marvelous site but, for now, I don't know what to do, so I'll keep listening to the songbirds)


10. Peletas de Coco
 That the coconut lollipops are divine! I'm quite addicted. They have little coconut pieces inside. (Donors of $100 or more, so long as I'm in Costa Rica, will get a few mailed to their home!)

11. Mobility

That though I was opposed to the idea in the beginning, I'm now quite glad that Kobi and Dahnya went to Panama to find us a car. I look forward to exploring this country, seeing its beautiful sites with our own car. And because we may even get more than we bought it for when we're done, it turns out, not only a great deal, but a way to experience the countries we volunteer in from an entirely different perspective.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining us! Speak your beautiful mind here: